HMViP is a holistic collaboration of healthcare professionals working within the field of home mechanical ventilation (HMV). It benefits from representation from service users including patients and carers.
Our mission is to create fair and equitable access to a care agenda led by patients. We shall champion evidence-based approaches for HMV to encourage adoption in centres not currently providing this service. We shall support and represent patients and their carers with improved patient education.
Our aim is to further improve the experience of patients with underlying conditions that may require assessment for HMV through education and improved knowledge.
In addition, we shall provide a resource for other healthcare professionals involved in the treatment of this patient group.
To achieve this, the group will undertake projects which encourage good practice, such as the promotion of evidence-based pathways for the use of HMV in a range of underlying conditions.
HMViP Group members:
- Alison Armstrong, Consultant Nurse, Newcastle upon Tyne NHS Foundation Trust. (Chair)
- Katy Buchan, Home NIV Lead/Senior Respiratory Physiotherapist, Bristol University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (Committee).
- Lisa Emmett, Specialist Respiratory Physiotherapist, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust (Committee)
- Patrick Murphy, Clinical Lead, Lane Fox Respiratory Unit, Guy’s and St Thomas’ Foundation Trust
- Louise Rose, Professor of Critical Care Nursing and Research Division Head, Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery and Palliative Care, King’s College London.
- Ben Messer, Consultant, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Rebecca D’Cruz, Consultant, Lane Fox Unit, Guy’s and St Thomas’s NHS Foundation Trust
- Naveed Mustfa, Consultant, Royal Stoke University Hospital
- Joanna Shakespeare, Consultant Clinical Scientist, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire
- Alex Long, Clinical Lead Physiotherapist, St Bartholomew’s Hospital, London
- Chris Stevenson, Former GP and Patient
- Fleur Perry, member of Pathfinders Neuromuscular Alliance and patient
- Sarah Rose, member of Pathfinders Neuromuscular Alliance and patient
- Julie Ward, Nursery Nurse and former Carer
- Gillian Gibbons, Secretariat